Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Some 2010 Highlights

I didn't get outside much today as I worked on sorting pictures (I'm only to July at this point...) and going thru seed catalogs. I was able to get some more planning done for some 2011 events and will spend the evening tweaking our last "test night" for the lights before we turn them on this Saturday for the Taste of Chocolate. Small crew today with Urban and Rose painting, Dr. Gredler staining benches and Larry doing odds and ends both inside and out. Vern was here with Bob and Bob and we also saw Maury, Big John and Mary W. Nice shot of Marilyn above in the entrance garden back in July. As I've gone thru many of my pictures, I was able to finally reflect on our successes out in the gardens. Of course, our mission is education which also went very well this year. However, despite a very limiting budget, we had a dynamite garden that staff and volunteers should be very proud of in 2010. As we transition in to 2011 preparations, I feel it's important to take a breath and enjoy the successes too. Not only did the gardens look great starting in spring (like the fern/moss garden below) but our bulb displays were awesome as well (albeit 3 weeks early!). Our gourd and cucumber displays were a hit and we were happy to accomodate the American Iris Society and American Peony Society this past spring and our displays filled out nicely. The "Petal Your Way Thru the Garden" program (daisies) was well received (look for butterflies in 2011!) and our color schemes and collections looked nice too. Despite a tough financial year, 2010 was a success in my mind. A big THANK YOU to all the volunteers and supporters of RBG.

1 comment:

Janice said...

Great photos, I especially like the machii (sp?) with the peony. I saw one of the best photos of the fishing pier - in my dentist's office! Turns out he's a photographer also.