Thursday, December 9, 2010

Bonsai

In Japanese, bonsai can literally be translated as "tray planting". This ancient art form involved dwarfing and shaping trees to be aesthetically pleasing. This process not only involves branch and stem pruning but root work as well. It is said that proper bonsai is only 10% horticulture and 90% art. Growing, pruning and shaping these various trees can take decades and involves a great deal of attention and effort. Since I've never attempted any sort of bonsai, I'm ill suited to do anything but show you some neat samples that I photographed this year. For instance, above is a wisteria (Wisteria sp.) at the Chicago Botanic Garden in May. I've actually seen some of the best bonsai collections in the United States and am always impressed with the amount of dedication involved with this art form. It is always neat seeing what species each specimen is and to wonder about the commitment involved with guiding that specimen and creating a living piece of art. One of the best collections in the country, not featured here, is located at Hidden Lake Gardens in Tipton, MI (owned and managed by Michigan State University). I was blown away 15 years ago when I saw that collection. My appreciation for bonsai resurfaced this year when I saw the collections at the Chicago Botanic Garden, Huntington Libary, Art Collections and Botanical Garden (Los Angeles) and the Brooklyn Botanic Garden. I take pictures of every bonsai I see although they wouldn't be typical fare for my presentations, this blog features some of my favorites. There are many wonderful books and websites dedicated to the history, processes and application of bonsai techniques. I recommend also visiting the website of the American Bonsai Society at www.absbonsai.org/ for more information as well. Looks like I'll be doing snow removal tomorrow. UGH.
























































No comments: