Friday, May 7, 2010

Dreary Weather But Good For Photography!

The drive to CBG was again a real treat (insert sarcasm). I'm not sure how people can deal with the "daily commute" every week. I've been pampered with a 5-10 minute commute to all my jobs but in growing up in the Chicago suburbs, I watched my dad drive a very similar route for 30 years and have a greater appreciation for the trek after the last three days. I arrived at CBG with a heavy drizzle occurring. I was able to take photos all day though as the rain stopped and it was pretty much overcast, cool and breezy all day. I took quick cover upon arrival in the conservatories and enjoyed seeing lots of plants that were mysteries to me. Above is the Bismarck palm (Bismarckia nobilis) that I thought was quite striking. I took many shots in this space and again aroused CBG staff suspicion by being a very early visitor. Below is a neat azalea (Rhododendron mucronatum) that I couldn't quite see the varietal name (Narcissifolia?) as the blooms really did look like little daffodils (Narcissus).
Our presenters were very good today. We had Clare Cooper Marcus start out the day and she is really in tune with user needs in restorative gardens and had much advice on what to do but more importantly, what not to do. Jack Carmen (NJ) gave some good case studies followed by two horticultural therapists from the Rusk Institute (NY, NY) that work with children in a child-based therapy garden (very interesting). At the end of the day was Dr. Joanne Westphal from Michigan State University who gave us some great information on how to quantify the value of a garden for a healthcare institution or related facility. She is very accomplished with all sorts of degrees including her recent medical training (MD). A very long day but lots of good stuff. I'm looking forward to some of the upcoming tours and field trips over the next three days. Below are some other CBG features including the bald cypress (Taxodium distichum) hedge that is just foliating. It is quite impressive in summer but I thought the branching architecture (certainly influenced) was neat too. The bottom photos are of prairie smoke (Geum triflorum) seed heads with some raindrops on them and a really neat Wisteria bonsai. CBG has a world class bonsai collection that is quite impressive. I hope it doesn't get too cold tonight and wish the best for our people and plants at RBG.

No comments: