Sunday, May 2, 2010

Arboretums Are Cool

Above is 'Pink Sparkles' crabapple (Malus) as seen at the Longenecker Gardens, which is the woody plant collections section of the UW-Madison Arboretum. My wife and I took our younger daughter and her friend to the arboretum which has been an annual spring trek for our family for many years. The magnolias were finishing up but the crabapple and lilac collections were looking great. There were 100s of people walking around and enjoying the day. It was interesting watching visitors being pulled like magnets from beautiful tree to beautiful tree. Dr. Ed Hasselkus, Professor Emeritus (Horticulture Dept.) and woody plant guru, played the primary role in the development of this regional resource. Our older daughter, who denies any interest in gardening, still enjoys the arboretum in spring. Below is a French lilac (Syringa vulgaris) named 'Kosmos'. The scents today were awesome and appreciated by all.
My wife and I both took lots of pictures at the arboretum and I could have spent an entire day there. The weather was sunny and warm. Once we got home this afternoon, I ran to work to check all the plants in our yard for watering. I didn't have to do much as I think someone else (Larry?) may have came in earlier. Busy (but short) week coming up as I prepare for my experience at the Chicago Botanic Garden (Healthcare Garden Design Certificate). To the right is the bloom of the umbrella magnolia (Magnolia tripetala) also enjoyed at the arboretum. I usually miss this stage of the blooms (photography) but was happy to catch it today. And below....even dandelions ready to spread their offspring have beauty as well!







No comments: