Thursday, February 10, 2011

Expo Set-Up

Today for me was broken in to three portions; Garden Expo set-up, a long nap and an evening presentation. This morning I worked briefly on some odds and ends before heading up to the Garden Expo (Alliant Center) in Madison for early set-up of our booth space. I went up with Polly, Big John (both seen above) and Dick P. Most booths are set-up on Friday morning (tomorrow) before the show opens that evening from 4 pm until 9 pm. Today was easy access although I was surprised by the amount of booths and displays being set-up. Note the use of our culvert pipe planters above with Marianne's arrangements that are sure to be conversation starters at the Expo. Of course the larger landscape displays that involve temporary patios, decks, water features, plantings, etc. certainly require this early set-up. We left RBG at 9 am and returned by 12:30 pm. I still had some remnants of my recent illness and felt horrible. I went home and took a long nap and then headed to Elkhorn, WI for an evening presentation to the Walworth County Master Gardeners. I felt a lot better and made it thru my 3 hour talk on woodies, perennials and annuals. It was a nice crowd and I enjoyed chatting with some of the attendees. Tomorrow involves more presentations in Milwaukee (at Boerner Botanic Garden) and Sheboygan.
I did overlap with some of the Grumpies this morning and noted that the carpenters (Jim, Vern, Bob and Dave) were making great progress on our "blue pyramids". Look closely, does that pyramid look odd to you for any reason? They were scratching their heads on figuring out some measurements but were being well supervised by the characters below (Dick H., Pat, Marv and Urban from left to right respectively). We had a good crew this morning that also included Larry, Bill, Marianne, Janice, Mary and others. I was a bit out of the loop with everything going on but our focus will shift heavily to finishing seed organizing next week.

No comments: