Sunday, June 5, 2011

A Visit To Rotary Gardens (In Delavan, WI)

It was another hot one today and while I did some gardening at home, I didnt' have to worry about RBG as Big John and four or so volunteers were there to water all the containers, the yard plants, etc. I still remember Sundays over five years ago where I would pray for rain as the other option was Larry and/or I coming down for a half day to keep everything watered. Deb G. has done a nice job coordinating our Sunday Watering program and I really appreciate it! This morning, I drove over to Delavan, WI to check out their Rotary Garden situated in Congdon Park. Check out http://www.delavanrotarygardens.com/ for more information on this garden which started back in 1999. I remember when our Exectutive Director at the time, Sue Olsen, and I went to the Delavan-Darien Rotary Club meeting (in 2000 or so) to talk about our garden and to meet with some Rotary members and municipal employees about the inherent challenges of maintaining a botanic garden. I remember summing it up by saying, "Make sure you can take care of what you have before you expand; and get irrigation! I've been to the is garden a half dozen times and a couple years ago, the grounds staff and I stopped by to check it out. It looked like they had a recent work day as there were some very recently weeded areas although it looks like they need continued help in some locations. It has been a tough year for spring weeds for everyone. My comments are not meant to be critical as I understand the need for as many hands as possible to maintain a garden. I noted some nice plant combinations, the nice central water feature and the gazebo overlooking the water. As the only botanic garden in Walworth County, I hope they continue to develop and improve on their 11 acre site. Below are just a few neat shots of plants I saw this morning. Directly below is the willowleaf bluestar (Amsonia hubrichtii) blooming above fine textured foliage that will later turn orangey/yellow in late summer. This perennial, incidentally, is also the Perennial Plant of the Year for 2011 as chosen by the Perennial Plant Association. Further below is one of the nice perennial salvias (Salvia sp.); probably 'May Night' or 'East Friesland'. Below and to the left is that same salvia with some perennial geraniums and to the right is a combination of catmint (Nepeta sp.) and ornamental chives (Allium sp.). The bottom photo is a close-up of the exquisite mountain bluet (Centaurea montana) that has nice blooms but can also reseed around.




























1 comment:

Colleen said...

I drive by here every once in awhile but have never stopped. Looks like I should make the stop!