Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Progress Continues (With Me Away In Milwaukee)

I spent a good portion of the morning at Boerner Botanical Gardens (Hales Corners, WI) doing a three hour presentation on sensory plants. This is the same talk I recently did for the Kenosha County Master Gardeners and next week, I'll take the show on the road up to Fond Du Lac. The crowd of 100 or so Master Gardeners were very receptive and were an energetic bunch (which I've always observed with this group). We had some technical difficulties with both my microphone failing and the LCD projector bulb burning out but we made it thru and on time. I arrived at Boerner almost an hour early though with the intent of seeing what was still interesting out in the gardens. I wasn't disappointed as I ran across all sorts of neat ornamental grasses, fall colors and other late season elements. I've visited Boerner over the past 15 years and have always enjoyed my visits. I ran in to Lori Y., one of the horticulturists there, and we had a nice chat. We shared some stories and tips, many of which revolved around deer problems! Lori did some programs for us years ago and is very a very knowledgeable plantswoman. The top image was taken inside the vistors center as they had the most beautiful mums on display. I thought this one was fake! The image directly above is of the Italian arum (Arum italicum) which shrugs off frost with clean, late season foliage that has a nice white veination that is a beautiful feature. I've shown this perennial many times before in this blog and have noted its foliage and fruiting clusters (similar to Jack-in-the-pulpit). I've also mentioned that in warmer climates, it is invasive and a real headache to remove from the garden. It's interesting to note that I've never seen it spread until this year at RBG. I've noted specimens quite some distance from the original plantings and think wildlife might move it around. Regardless, I'll keep an eye on it next year and hopefully it wont become an "imminent removal" as I always enjoy seeing it in our woodland walk garden. With the exception of the above-mentioned arum, the remainder of the photos were from Boerner Botanical Gardens this morning. I caught some superior fall color on many perennials. To the left is the Japanese blood grass (Imperata cylindrica 'Red Baron') that has significant red during the summer but gets a deeper red in fall. In warmer climates, this grass is quite a spreader but I've seen some controlled clumps in WI and always admire this grass. To the right is the subtle apricot fall color of a neat barrenwort (Epimedium grandiflorum 'Red Queen'). There was no shortage of things to see and I mentioned to my audience that they should try to fit in a tour of the gardens to appreciate what a November garden can offer. Boerner, aside from having an awesome rose collection, peony collection, herb garden, perennial borders and annual displays, also has a top notch trial garden as well. They are County supported but also have the support of a non-profit "arm" of the institution called Friends of Boerner Botanical Gardens (FBBG). I also met Ellen Hayward today, the CEO of FBBG. I wiItalicsh them all the best with fundraising and maximizing the appearance and impact of Boerner as a true horticultural resource for all visitors. I love the symbol to the left for Boerner and you can see lots of neat elements in that design. To the right is the fall color of another perennial geranium (Geranium x oxonianum 'Claridge Druce') that is tolerant of part shade and has wonderful, soft lavender-pink blooms in spring and sporadically thru the summer. Remember that fall color can truly be an asset with so many of our perennials but unfortunately, that stage is often overlooked as we wind down in the gardens. I was impressed with the appropriate use of perennial geraniums around Boerner and agree that they are a nice, low maintenance perennial. Directly below is the golden fall coloration of a tall moor grass (Molinia litoralis 'Windspiel') which was visible from over 100 feet away. This "see thru" or "transparent" grass is like others I've featured recently ('Skyracer' and 'Transparent'). The next photo shows the late season blooms of the common witchhazel (Hamamelis virginiana) and the next shot is of the only other visitor I saw out in the gardens early this morning. Lori was telling me about some of their deer protection efforts which were quite significant. I got some great, cost-effective ideas though... Boerner is also in a huge greenbelt (similar to RBG) and deer are not rare in that area! Italic
The weather was perfect today and in the mid 60 degrees F. I left the gardens in good hands and while a did feel a bit guilty about missing my cord running endeavors, when I returned to the gardens, the progress was quite apparent. Marv and Terry put up more trees, displays, deer cutouts and other lights show supplies. The guys had some nice ideas for fine-tuning the show and should be able to wrap up their contributions by next week. Marianne worked on luminaries and did a lot of wiring for me. I had some primary cords out already and she did a nice job getting things connected. I hope to utilize her help in the near future. Larry worked on finishing his "pavilion" area and secured lights on the visitors center. Big John cleared out some containers and spent most of his time putting up twinkle lights on the trees that Marv and Terry had placed/secured. Little Jerry worked on pruning and debris collection. I didn't get to see everyone that came in today but I know both Kay and Robin were at the gardens doing a great job as usual. Dr. Gredler was there briefly but snuck out to catch a late season game of golf. We also saw Rich M., Julie and Luis. I don't know if it is just me but ornamental grasses have universally looked great this year. To the left is a smaller statured moor grass (Molinia caerulea 'Heidebraut'). What a great look. It is important to note that all Molinias are weak when it comes to snow issues. They are essentially flattened after the first significant snow event. To the right is the wonderful switchgrass (Panicum virgatum 'Northwind') from Roy Diblik of Northwind Perennial Farm. This is a nice upright form with plenty of winter interest and architectural merit in during the growing season as well. Below is some fancy framed screening at Boerner for some very old yew hedges that the deer would love to snack upon. The annual protection afforded these hedges (and the roses!) at Boerner must take up a lot of time but is more cost effective than replacing decimated specimens. At the bottom is the "grapefruit-sized" fruit of the osage orange (Maclura pomifera), a tree with a long history as a shelterbelt tree.

3 comments:

Marcia said...

Comments continued long after you left on your great presentation. Despite technical difficulties, you were able to give us a visual image verbally, and the glitch didn't seem to phase you at all. I'm so glad to have found your blog and will continue to follow it.
Marcia Zientek

Mark Dwyer, Director of Horticulture, Rotary Botanical Gardens said...

Thanks Marcia! After 100s of presentations I knew that I would have a situation like that. Glad it was at least towards the end! Take care and bring a gang to the gardens in 2011!

Samual said...

Its great Blog.When you want the best grow lights, LED lights are your best option. Custom order your LED grow light specific to your plants needs and grow environment. Blue is good for vegetative and red is good for flowering and budding, you can choose the ratio of the red and blue for a more efficient light specific to your plants needs and environment.