Friday, July 16, 2010

A Fragile Ego...Shattered

I went out to the EcoFair360 (www.EcoFair360.com/) at the Walworth County Fairgrounds (Elkhorn, WI). The event was really neat and was picking up steam as I arrived before it opened to get prepared for my talk. Today was day 1 of 3. There were some schedule issues as I was switched from Sunday to Friday and to make a long story short, I didn't have anyone show up for my talk on "Energy Efficient Landscape Design". However, Jumbo Jim and Julie came to my tent and we walked around and met with some of the vendors. I saw some people I knew from Northwind Perennial Farm, Cobrahead Weeders, and other locations. I hope this event is well received and attended. If you have the time, head over there and check it out as there were vendors and organizations from all over the place. The organizer, Catherine M., did a fine job and my bruised ego will heal. I've learned in the past that the first speaking time slot on the first day of a multiple day event is a tough sell. My therapist will get me thru it though... The image below was taken at the booth, the Working Bikes Initiative (http://www.workingbikes.org/) that collects used bikes and ships them to projects in poorer countries. They are a non-profit and the two gentlemen we talked with were very passionate. The set-up below allows the bike to generate electricity to pump water. They had all sorts of neat arrangements and distribute over 5,000 bikes annually. The picture further down is of some neat electric carts I noticed. Fancy (and probably expensive).
The gang spent most of the day watering. Terry and Janice push mowed right away while it was still "cool" and moved on to watering duties. Big John was here for a half day and helped water as well. We're just trying to keep things from drying out. John came back later to give a tour to his brother, sister-in-law and wife. Little Jerry was here to mow the arboretum and Dr. Gredler was here most of the day. Kay weeded one of our problem areas near the main building and did a nice job tidying up in advance of the big Dinner Dance which happens this Saturday night. I'm not attending the event but will come for a bit to do a small presentation about the gardens. This is one of our most successful fundraisers and Polly always does a nice job organizing it. Larry will have his work cut out for him tomorrow (Sat.) with watering but at least there are no outdoor weddings to work around (which is a very rare occurance). We also saw Vern, Lilian, Mike and others. Most of my day was absorbed with the EcoFair360 but my big priority is organizing all the iris photos, primarily so we can get them ready for the iris sale on August 28th. Next week will be intense before I leave for CA with lists and organizing some details for the Home Garden Tour & Luncheon (July 24). The two side photos are of the birdhouse gourd (Lagenaria) that is right in front of where I park my car every morning at the Horticulture Center. I am totally smitten with the blooms and vigor of this annual vine. We'll see what a monster it becomes by the end of the season. The cucumbers are looking great and Doreen, a renowned garden writer, is coming this weekend to take some cuke photos. The annual below is the bush violet (Browallia sp.) that is great in part sun in particular. Browallia comes in various shades of blue and also in white. We like to plant them in our dappled shade areas as they offer a nice blue throughout the growing season. The bottom photo is the perennial dune grass (Panicum amarum 'Dewey Blue') along the base of our terrace. I like the color of this grass and it has a nice scale at around 5-6' tall. We have seen some minor reseeding of this grass which is also typical of many of the native switch grasses (Panicum virgatum). I don't think ornamental grasses can be overdone. Finally, a weekend off (sort of...).

No comments: