Monday, February 1, 2010

Some Sweet Shots

As you can see from above, I'm not worried about the appropriate "seasonality" of my photos during a February blog. The arched bridge shot above and fog-shrouded shot at the bottom were just sent to me from Mike, a local ER doctor that also has a great photographic eye. I've been fortunate to have so many talented photographers, like Mike, offer their photos for our digital library. These photos and those like them allow us to really promote the gardens and I consider the efforts of these volunteer photographers so valuable.

We had a nice turnout today with Marv, Terry, Little Jerry, Urban and Larry bringing in lights and displays. Bill processed many of the cords and lights that came back to the horticulture center. Del and Dick W. worked on reindeer while Vern, Bob A., Dave and Jim finished some carpentry and are working on creating three large arches for a new outdoor structure. Dr. Gredler continued to paint and Dick H. helped here and there as needed. Maury and Dick P. did some work at the visitors center and we also saw Bill O., Chuck and Lois at the Horticulture Center. Marianne helped sort seeds and inventory our current seed supply. We'll really start sifting and sorting next week. I'm finishing up some loose ends including last minute seed ordering as I prepare for a trip to MI later in the week. I'm presenting as part of the Plants of Distinction program in Novi (near Detroit) and Grand Rapids. Should be a great crowd and I'll talk about Ornamental Edibles and container gardening.

I've decided to start teasing with some shots of plants (of all sorts) that I think have lots of merit, particularly in our climate. Not all of these will be new as I subscribe to that old gardening adage that "All new plants aren't necessarily good and all good plants aren't necessarily new." Along those lines, to the left is a variegated false forget-me-not (Brunnera macrophylla 'Jack Frost') that really is an eyecatcher in the part shade garden with sparkling foliage that catches the eye. Blue spring flowers go quickly but this leathery foliage looks great thru the season at 15" tall and very few insect or disease issues. Moist, organic, well-drained soil is preferable. 'Looking Glass' is another variety with pizzaz (see below) with lots of silver but I'll never grow tired of 'Jack Frost'.

No comments: