Friday, August 1, 2008

Frantic Friday

It was a crazy day today. Our Palmer Drive planting is filling out nicely as seen above. The tall pillars are again PVC and have a centerpiece of the blue lyme grass (Elymus arenarius) with a cascading edger of aluminum plant (Dichondra argentea). I'm glad we did the orange and blue theme this year. Now we're considering colors for 2009.....

I'm going on a 10 day road trip with my eight year old daughter starting this Sunday. We'll stop in Ohio, camp in Pennsylvania, stay at my brothers in New Jersey, see relatives in upstate New York and hopefully swing by Niagra Falls on the way home. It should be fun. However, being gone from RG this long necessitates making lists and making sure I've tied up all loose ends prior to leaving. We hit the ground running this morning when it as only 75 degrees and 100% humidity. The plan was to get our mowing and physical work done first (before the inferno arrived), then water throughout the afternoon. Everyone had a good sweat but I was the lucky one to spend time in the air conditioning making all my lists. Marv, Marianne and Terry are awesome troopers and I'm glad they weathered the heat. I'll have a blog tomorrow but wont return to blogging until August 13.
Check out our fancy new mailbox. I showed this in a previous blog but it's had some improved painting and this image shows the neat metal planters that Dick welded on for us. He actually constructed the entire thing. May curses and ill will fall upon anyone that targets this for "mailbox baseball" practice. The image to the right is of a really cool clematis called 'Rooguchi'. This clematis is a loose climber to 8' and is know for its dark plum "bells" with recurved sepals.

I was able to spend some time in our daylily (Hemerocallis) collection this past week and am always drawn to the reds. The picture on the bottom is of 'Chicago Ruby' which "spoke to me" with not only its great red coloration but its stature at almost 36" in height.


















No comments: